Thursday, March 29, 2012

Orientation and Shinkansen

So once I arrived at Narita Airport I wasn't entirely sure what to do. Lucky for me, it turns out I was sitting near another exchange student that was also with Greenheart Travel. So we teamed up and somehow managed to find baggage claim. I also met a Japanese exchange student who had just studied abroad for three months. He was extremely kind and he was the first person I spoke Japanese to...in Japan anyway haha. Anyway, I've always been so afraid to speak Japanese. Chiefly because I'm afraid of making mistakes and sounding stupid. But his kindness reminded me I'm here to learn...and to learn one simply can not avoid mistakes.

After baggage claim I found someone with the sign JFIE: Japanese Foreign Intercultural Exchange...I think...Then we took a bus to Orientation.
 
Orientation lasted around 2 and a half days. It consisted of warnings and rules and...well to say the least, while I was IN Japan, it didn't really felt like it. I felt like I was in a classroom. The one fun thing about Orientation was a trip to the mall. The first 自動販売機 (vending machine) I spotted was here!
 The mall was in Chiba, Japan (near Tokyo) and was huge!

 Plenty of cute things to be had~!
 As far as fashion goes, it varies a lot. One fashion is the above: a sort of old, classic and very cute style filled with ribbons and frills....my favorite. I wanted to buy everything!
 Despite being in Japan, you see English everywhere. Everywhere. I repeat. Everywhere. It doesn't always make sense though....This shop is called Mister Donut haha!
 One method of ordering food in Japan. You put in coins (coins come in larger value in Japan. For example, 100Yen and 500Yen coins...roughly USD $1 and $6..I think..) It then prints out your ticket, and you hand the ticket to the 店員...shop assistant. Then you wait with one of those things that make noise when your food is ready.
 Yummy!

 Found and arcade :D

 An example of strange English....A children's clothing store...named STARVATIONS

 My Shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to Nagoya... It cost over USD $100 :O
It was raining a lot, so most of the pictures I took came out poorly.

9 comments:

  1. YAY YOU POSTED AGAIN I WAS WORRIED ABOUT YOU I LOVE YOU I MISS YOU OMG EMILY <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the kids store called STARVATIONS totally just made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE MISS YOU SO MUCH. 'Mister Donut' is SO CUTE. weirdo japanglish and Engrish haha. The vending machines look so PRETTY. and THOSE CLOTHES. I'm sure you probably just want to shop for Japanese clothes nonstop right now :) I bet when you come back, you'll have a whole Japanese wardrobe, amirite?! Also spend some time in the arcades for me when you get the chance. I'm so jealous that America doesn't have those. well, not really. anyway, I'm glad you're having fun. sounds like you're super busy and tired!!! but I'm glad that you're finally getting away from initial boring orientation stuffs. anyway, keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. by 'well, not really' I mean we don't really have arcades like that. not that I'm actually not jealous XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha <3 I miss you guys soo much D; School hasn't started yet (it's spring break) and weee arcades....fun :D The vending machines are really pretty! I already bought a really cute shirt! It's actually really hard to get money here D: So I havent been able to splurge at a clothing store...yet...YET! :) <3

      Delete
    2. oh no, I hope you figure out a way to get money >:D But I'm glad you're on spring break! so jealous, just one more day till I finally have spring break over here XD. MISS YOU <3

      Delete
  5. Looks like you're being kept pretty busy over there. Not all fun and games yet? Let us know when the party starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha its all fun and games now! Then school starts on the 7th xD; (saturday)

      Delete