Sunday, April 22, 2012

Time Flies By!

Well I'm one month in deep! I've been updating this blog a lot less than I intended to. Sorry! :O
Anyways. There is soooo much I want to write about, but there simply isn't time for it all! Recently I started school at St. Mary's. It's an unbelievably strict school. You probably would think I was joking if I said the school bans things like make-up, or having your hair down. Or that you can't eat or drink stoof on the bus. Or that you can't go to karaoke, or arcades. Or that you can't even bring a magazine or a comic book to school. But rules are rules...and as with all rules..I follow most of 'em...;)

With the school the first thing we had was Orientation. Now because I'm not allowed to bring a camera or a cellphone to school I couldn't take pictures or videos or anything, but it actually was pretty interesting. My favorite part was when each club did a sort of skit. For example, Choir sang "Be My Guest" and Archery popped balloons (the latter of which was so loud everyone sort of jumped!). Now at this point I though I had gotten off scott-free with the whole speech thing. But later that day I got a phone call from a school staff member informing me I would be doing a speech (in Japanese AND English, mind you) in front of the whole school. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly ecstatic about the whole idea.

The next day in front of the whole school (700 people give or take) I said my schpeal and got it over worth. I made no mistakes, my voice didn't quaver, and managed a small. This accomplishment did wonders for my self-confidence and was a great gateway to getting to know as many people at the school as soon as possible.

But in some ways I've changed after coming to Japan. First of all, not wearing make up for awhile makes you appreciate and acknowledge how you look without make up. You kind of cease to think of yourself as unpresentable, and more just..I don't know...normal. 

Secondly, I've got more balls now. And when I say that, I mean I have a lot less trouble talking to people these days. I'm more energetic, more talkative, and for once I actually stick out. In Japan I get stared at quite a bit for obvious reasons. Now this can be taken several ways. You can be flattered, annoyed, whatever. But for me, it has helped me get over embarrassment issues. Things that would have made me face go red in an instant are not somehow withstand-able. I make stupid mistakes here all the time, but somehow you just learn and move on.

Whats kind of cool about being an exchange student in Japan is everyone recognizes you. I'm luck in many ways: I'm Californian (which thanks to Katy Perry's California Girl's, is quite well known), my name is easy and cute (Emi), and my hair is a different color. If you ever come to Japan, don't dye your natural hair. People will compliment it, especially if its natural and what-not. 

Anyway. It's fun to talk to different people each day, and cheerfully say, "good morning!" or "how are you?" or "what class do we have next??"

What I especially like is occasionally helping one of the English teachers teach English to middle schoolers (aged around 12 or so). They're all so cute, and everyone likes my accent (I have an accent?) and when I pass by in the hall sometimes they'll call out my name. I try to greet as many people as I can each day. It's fun making friends.

Other than that, I've had plenty of fun experiences recently. I had ramen for the first time, went to hanami, I seriously just came back from purikura and shopping (again). Soon Golden Week is coming (a whole week off from school!) and I'm pretty sure a Kyoto trip and a theme park are on the horizon!!

With all that said, I miss you guys! I'm experiencing so many feelings abroad. Complete happiness at times, loneliness at others, wanting to go home, not wanting to go home, worrying about college, feeling like I'm making progress with the language, feeling Japanese is impossible... haha..

Oh, a fun little blurp: the other day during P.E. everyone was jogging laps. Just like P.E. back home, some people take it seriously and jog quickly, while others are basically walking. I was hanging out with some of the essentially walking people for about four laps. But suddenly I felt spontaneous, and when we had about two laps left one of my friends asked me if I was tired. I said no, and burst into a full on sprint.. It was hilarious and a ton of fun! Everyone was smiling.

Till next time! I'll see if I can't post some pictures soon :)

7 comments:

  1. I think you look great with no make-up, especially in a make-up-less environment like your school haha. The purikura pics looks great too, although I'm not sure if you're wearing make-up or if thats all the purikura's job XD idk! Have you joined any clubs? I think its cute that you have an accent (probs English and since you're in Gifu, more urban Japanese than what they have) Thats so cute with the middle schoolers! I can totally see you in your element here and I'm so glad you went :) Don't stress too much about things, you're there to experience it!! And the P.E. thing TOTALLY sounds like you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis! :) Haha I am wearing makeup, but..well you know purikura. PUT ON ALLLLL THE MAKEUP. Havent joined any clubs. I already get home at 5:30pm..if I joined a club it'd be 7:30 pm O__O;; I'm having a blast! I have to admit I was really stressing about college the last couple of days (the waitlist thing for Irvine is just awful..the last two years they didnt admit anyone on the lists). So I've SIRed to Davis, but I don't want to tell anyone on FB or RL really yet, because it may change xD anyways. Love you!! :)

      Delete
    2. OF COURSE. PURIKURA IS FULL MAKE-UP TAIMU. :3 ech, yeah I understand not joining a club. Yeah, the whole waitlist thing is very shitty. UC Davis looks great, and hey its not too far from where I'll be :3 If you get into UCI that'll be great, but I've known a ton of people that went to colleges they were enh about and ending up LOVING it. I think you will too! Norcal is so pretty and UC Davis looks pretty too :) its also not too shabby in the rankings B) Going to a UC is pretty goddamn big achievement, especially right now when so many kids are off to community college or straight to jobs. even those people seem to have fun just chillin' I think your lifepath will be happy cause I see you as such an adaptable person <3 yeah, I'd wait until you hear your final say from UCI then SHARE SOME AGGIE PRIDE!

      Delete
  2. cool cool cool :D sounds like quite the experience and ya still got 2 more months! Glad to hear its a great confidence booster! and seeeee Emily, you DO look fantastic with and without make-up!! why you no believe me~ -why u no faic- haha ;) your blog is totally makin' me want to go to Japan btw XD especially a place like Gifu :3
    Love you,
    Joshorz :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha :D Oh Josh you would loooove it here! <3 The weather is exactly what you would like! It's never really hot..it's usually rainy or at a sort of cool/coldish temperature... Here you actually USE your umbrella! -gasp-

      Love you more,
      Emily

      P.S. Watched a scary movie yesterday and I had the monokuro boo pig on my head the whole time (well he fell during the scary parts). haha :)

      Delete
  3. EMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII :O

    I love you!! I miss you!! Thanks for finally updating! I'm so glad you're having so much fun!!! And I've also always thought you look beautiful without make up! I still can't believe all the amazing experiences you're having and how much you're learning. So so so so so amazing. I didn't know you were going to have to make a speech in front of the whole school! Good job, man! I'm so glad you're more confident and more social! YAY. SO MUCH YAY.


    You're the best and suuuuper amazing.

    ~kaite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KATIEEEEEEEE ;O
      I love and miss you!! I HOPE YOU'RE NOT WATCHING KORRA WITHOUT ME XD Haha well. Tell me how it is! And thank you :D miss you! yay for yayz haha

      You're the best and awesome possum amaziz' :)

      Delete