Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gifu Castle and Hanami


花見(はなみ)When translated it simply means "flower-watching". Once a year in Japan, the cherry blossoms bloom, and it's a big deal. No one is ever exactly sure when Hanami is going to be celebrated, but it's usually around mid-April. I am incredibly fortunate that my relatively short stay of three months fell during this glorious period. Unfortunately, I only really had the opportunity to take pictures at night, so you can'y really see the real beauty of these flowers. 


I was shocked at how short of a time they bloomed. I think it may have been around two weeks? Three? No idea really, but was certainly faster than I thought it would be. 

Also. Gifu Castle. It was bound to happen, guys! It was actually smaller than I thought it would be! 
Recently I've been very busy with school. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm almost positive I'm going to be taking midterms for all my classes in about 2 weeks. Definitely have a Japanese midterm, if nothing else.
So I've started to put a bit more effort into my classes. But I must admit, it's not easy at all. Learning World History, Biology, Modern Lit, you-name-it. Take any class and conduct it in Japanese, and you're simply not going to do well. 
Studying abroad forces you to readjust your opinion of whats a "good grade". It spins your "satisfaction wheel" out of control. For example, a D grade would have sent me crying to my room back home. Actually, I think I would have died... haha
But in Japan, getting even just one out of five points on a Biology quiz is a success in my book. In fact, usually getting that one point takes at least 30 minutes of studying. I know. It's that hard. (last time I got 2 points I studied about 10 sentences for over an hour) And it's not like I'm just studying for once class, here..

The problem with tests(and classes in general) is that:
a.) you may know the material, but you will likely not know the vocab. in Japanese
b.) even if you do know the vocab, there is no way you're going to know all the kanji you'll see in the questions
c.) I don't have any textbooks, unlike other students. I have to borrow from my host sister, who also needs to study
d.) I've already gotten into the college I wanted to... A.K.A motivation issues (...does it really matter?)
But for me what it really comes down to is improvement. Already my comprehension, ability to write, and speaking skills have improved. And that makes me happy. I'm still a long shot away from even touching fluency, but being even somewhat proficient is good enough for me (for now).

Anyway, on to the photos!







 Past all the rows of cherry blossom trees were food stands. Soo delicious! I had meat :)

 Gifu Castle is lit up epicly.

 I look like such a dork in this picture :B





The following pictures are of the inside of the castle:



 These hollow gourds are a huge deal in Gifu






 Obligatory Samurai statue!

 A map of Gifu from the old days. 





 You can see my taking a picture of this scroll. Creepy..

 Swordssss


 Gunssss


There were plenty of art scrolls with angry men
 Just look at that expression



 A picture of a picture



 Sometimes Japan really has the creepy thing down pat








Last but not least, cool pictures. Is that vague? Take a look for yourself, I'm tired xD

 Who says you can't switch up camera poses every now and then? The peace sign gets kind of old...xD
Anywhoodles, I've got 5 tests tomorrow that I need to go battle. 
See ya!

P.S. Who is this? Guess in the comments! (And yes, I already know the answer ;P )


8 comments:

  1. HI EMILY I LOVE YOU AND I MISS YOU AND HEART LESS THAN THREE <3 <333333 <4 <6 <9000+

    ANYWHO: hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

    I'm soooooooo glad you got to see the blossoming thingy! :B I'VE HEARD ABOUT IT. And that's sayin something! As far as tests and grades go, I'm sure getting even 1/5 is hard to do, and everyone's impressed! <3 It's so so great that you're becoming more fluent! GIFU CASTLE LOOKS AWESOME :O

    <3 <3 <3
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI KATIE I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU AND HEART LESS THN THREE YAH! X9000 <3

      HIIII! How are you doing?? :)

      That's amazing that you've heard of it xD!! How has your recovery been going? When I come back is it safe to hug you (tightly)? :)

      love your prof pic by the way! So cool B)

      <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. PICTURE IN A PICTURE! PIC-CEPTION!!...someone had to say it :p

    anymoo, glad ya got to be apart of Hanami! haha, look at ya, blendin' in with the beauty of the trees ;) and I'm pretty jello that you got to check out Gifu Castle!! I've always wanted to visit it!! Also really happy to hear that your japanese is improving! and dang, a lot of tests on your way, heh ^^;. Best of luck and endurance and stoof :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) Gifu Castle was pretty cool! I'll definitely have to take you someday <3 Yeah the tests were really hard! Especially World History... Just got back my Biology test though, 20%! haha Miss you! Best of luck and endurance and stoof for you too!

      Delete
  3. I'm super jello about the whole cherry blossom thing - but thanks for the awesome photos!! I'm sure all the studying is really helping you to learn Japanese - and your perception of studying has no doubt changed - when you're at UCI you'll say "Sure this is hard - but try learning it IN JAPANESE!" - everything will seem easier! Love you mucho (nod to Spanish).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I'm hoping everything is easier academically at UCI than here in Japan. Sometimes I feel really stupid when I get a test back, but I just have to remind myself "hey, it's in JAPANESE"... Love you mucho, too! Today we had a crosspuzzle and the teacher accidentally put the word "gordo" in it. I pointed it out! Thanks to you I know how to say fat in Spanish^^
      Also, do I need transcripts from St. Mary's for college? I didn't think so, but do I?

      Delete
  4. 花見- the awesome feel when you can both read and understand one word of kanji! WEEEEE!!! Also be careful about your agreement with UCI. bad grades = no admission. Will UCI be seeing them? If not, then it doesn't matter. But I know for me I can't get below a C in any one class or something like that. Love the cherry blossoms! HE'S THE GUY FROM BATTLE ROYALE?!!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah 花見 is a fun one! :) But what about 青年? Blue year? NOPE. It means youth! haha xD
      And glad to hear you still remember some of yoh Japanese. As for grades from abroad, they work differently. It's more ike an effort scale: 1 to 5 based on how much you tried (I think) You can transcripts, but usually schools (like LHHS) don't accept them for credit. So I'm prettyy sure it doesn't matter, I'll ask mom xD; And you should have no problem getting above a C, knowing you haha :) AND "PIN-PON". WE HAVE A WINNER. I forgot his name, but he just starred in a new movie. And guess what? He's also Light from the Death Note movies!

      Delete